Organic Cane Sugar | Sold by KG
Organic Cane sugar sourced from Brazil from Global Organics, who partners with the Native Green Cane Project in Brazil to provide organic cane sugar products. The Green Cane Project, launched in 1987, is the largest sustainable agriculture project in the world and has:
- Pioneered green cane harvesting (replacing the destructive practice of burning cane fields).
- Replaced synthetic fertilizers and pesticides with recycled waste streams from production and natural pest and disease control.
- Planted over 1 million trees to create 11,000 acres of greenways or "biodiversity islands" on its farms to attract beneficial wildlife.
- Installed cogeneration equipment to power the mill and surrounding communities.
- Implemented many innovative environmental and social programs.
Today, the Green Cane Project farms close to 20,000 hectares (49,421 acres) of certified organic cane fields. The results have been incredible:
- 100% Carbon Neutral – from the fields to our warehouses in North America and Europe
- Cogeneration alone saves over 25,000 metric tons of CO2 saved per year
- Increased yields vs. conventional cane fields
- Higher resistance to drought and pest damage
- 23 times the biodiversity of conventional fields, including many rare species
- Many cutting-edge labor and social programs for employees and the community
To produce crystalized organic cane sugar, or organic granulated sugar, sugar cane stalks are first harvested and crushed. The resulting juice is clarified to remove solids, heated, and concentrated into a syrup. This syrup is made up of sugar and molasses. The syrup is seeded with sugar crystals to promote crystallization, boiled and put in a centrifuge to separate out some (but not all) of the molasses. Finally, it is dried and packaged.
Ingredient: Raw Cane Sugar